STATE OF COLORADO
invites applications for the position of:
Port of Entry Officer Intern - LIMON, Colorado
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
CLASS TITLE: PORT OF ENTRY INTERN
LOCATION: Other (see primary location below for details), Colorado
PRIMARY PHYSICAL WORK ADDRESS: 53407 State Road 71 Limon, CO 80228
SALARY: $2,846.00 - $4,101.00 Monthly
SALARY NOTE: Although the full salary range for this position is provided, appointments are typically made at or near the range minimum.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt; position is eligible for overtime compensation.
OPENING DATE: 09/22/11
CLOSING DATE: 10/06/11 05:00 PM
JOB TYPE: Full Time
WHO COMPETES: Individuals eligible for transfer, non-disciplinary (voluntary) demotion, or reinstatement will be required to participate in the competitive assessment process in order to be considered for this vacancy.
The Department of Revenue includes approximately 1,600 employees located throughout Colorado performing functions as varied as tax auditing, tax collection, taxpayer assistance, issuing driver licenses and motor vehicle titles, marketing lottery products, enforcing liquor laws, and regulating the Gaming, Horse Racing, Medical Marijuana, and the Auto Industry. Our employees are hard working and we strive for efficient and effective service to the citizens of Colorado.
The Department of Revenue also offers:
· Job security
· Distinctive career advancement opportunities throughout the State system
· Strong, secure, yet flexible retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan, PERA Defined Contribution Plan, State Defined Contribution plan plus 401K and 457 plans
· Medical and dental health plans
· Paid life insurance
· Short- and long-term disability coverage
· 10 paid holidays per year plus generous personal time off
· ECO PASS offered at a reduced cost
· Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible work schedules, training opportunities and more.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Port of Entry Officers are responsible for processing commercial vehicles and their cargoes through a fixed or mobile port of entry by visually and physically inspecting the condition of commercial vehicles and drivers to determine compliance with statutes, rules, and regulations; issuing permits and providing information on laws and regulations regarding the operation of commercial vehicles; collecting fees, fines, taxes, and penalties; issuing penalty assessments and/or summons for violations of statutes, rules, and regulations, and testifying in court on behalf of the state. This position performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, SUBSTITUTIONS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
No specific education or experience required.
Possession of a valid State of Colorado driver license.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES: The preferred candidate will have previous experience assisting a variety of customers; previous work experience handling and processing transactions involving money; previous experience applying rules and regulations; other experience as indicated above in the description of duties assigned to this position; and high school graduation or GED.
POE CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Applicants must be willing and able to comply with the following conditions of employment. Non-compliance may result in an applicant's name being removed from the eligible list or, if hired, termination during the Probationary period.
1. Applicants must be willing to be fingerprinted, must successfully pass a background investigation, and must be eligible for NCIC/CCIC system access.
2. Employees are required to work shifts, nights, weekends and holidays.
3. Must be willing and able to work in a very busy, high-pressure environment, with heavy customer contact working with a wide variety of customers.
4. Employees must have sufficient keyboarding skills to use a computer to enter and process vehicle information. (typing or computer skills using a menu-driven database system)
5. Must possess excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
6. Employees must have the agility to work around moving traffic in multiple lanes and climb up on commercial vehicles, loads and trailers to conduct inspections.
7. Must work outside for extended periods of time, including during inclement weather conditions and periods of direct sunlight.
8. Must be able/willing to routinely lift, pull, and push objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
9. Physical requirements include bending, kneeling, twisting, stooping, and an assortment of other maneuverings, performed successfully without posing an unreasonable risk of injury or hardship to the health and safety of both yourself and others around you.
10. Employees may be required to report early for a shift or work after their scheduled shift. Schedules may be changed at anytime to properly staff a shift and ensure ongoing operations.
DOR REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES: Competencies required for all DOR positions include good communications skills (both oral and written), interpersonal skills, the ability to multi-task, the ability to work with confidential information, the ability to work in high-stress environments, and the demonstrated ability to assist customers in an effective, efficient, and elegant manner.
The following are conditions of employment with the Colorado Department of Revenue:
1. All employees must be current with their Income Tax filings and payments with the State of Colorado. This includes successfully passing a pre-employment evaluation of your tax records/accounts.
2. Applicants must agree to provide reference information and sign a waiver of liability in order to be considered for DOR jobs.
3. All DOR positions require successful completion of a background investigation prior to appointment. Background checks may include criminal, financial, traffic, civil, education, and/or experience checks or any other checks related to the assignment. Movement within the department to a different position may be cause for requiring additional background checks. Refusal to participate in the background check process will disqualify a person from employment with DOR. In addition, false, incomplete or inaccurate information, including failure to disclose a material fact during this process, may be grounds for disqualification from employment and/or your name being removed from the eligible list.
4. Department of Revenue employees are prohibited from "...exercising any regulatory control over any organization at which the employee was formerly employed or associated for a period of three years from the employee's last employment with such organization..." Prior employment, as it may be covered by this policy, will be considered in the hiring process.
5. Effective January 1, 2005, newly hired employees should be aware that employment with a state government employer offering public pension plans may cause a potential reduction of future Social Security benefits. The Department of Revenue is such an employer.
6. Employees in positions designated as overtime eligible under FLSA provisions (non-exempt), must be willing to accept compensatory time off in lieu of cash compensation for overtime work performed.
Dept. of Revenue employees are prohibited from "...exercising any regulatory control over any organization at which the employee was formerly employed or associated for a period of three years from the employee's last employment with such organization..." Prior employment (for example, within the trucking industry), as it may be covered by this policy, will be considered in the hiring process. The eligible list established from this recruitment process will be used to fill other positions as they become available.
HOW TO APPLY: Thank you for your interest. Submit an on-line application by clicking the link below or submit a State of Colorado Application for Announced Vacancy and all supplemental questions according to the instructions provided below. Failure to submit a complete and timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application materials are received by the appropriate Human Resources office before the closing date and time listed above.
IF NOT APPLYING ON-LINE, SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online. However, if NOT applying online, applications may be faxed to
or your application may be hand-delivered or mailed to: Department of Revenue, Attn: Office of Human Resources, 1375 Sherman St., Room 132, Denver, CO 80261. *Post marks are not accepted as timely receipt of application materials. Application materials must be in Room 132, or in the application drop-off box outside of room 132 by 5 P.M. on the "CLOSING DATE" listed above. We are not responsible for delays in mail service or problems with faxed applications. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure their application materials are received on time. As such, it is recommended that applicants apply on-line by the CLOSING DATE and time.
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION:
METHODS OF APPOINTMENT: Appointment to the vacancy or vacancies represented by this announcement is expected to be from the eligible list created or the transfer, non-disciplinary (voluntary) demotion or reinstatement applicants. However, there is the possibility that appointment(s), for valid, articulated business reasons may be made by transfer, reinstatement, disciplinary or non-disciplinary demotion, trial service reversion, placement due to return from military service or another method of appointment not stated.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
http://www.colorado.gov/cojobs Position #TAA 3085, 1543
PORT OF ENTRY OFFICER INTERN - LIMON, COLORADO
THE STATE OF COLORADO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Port of Entry Officer Intern - LIMON, Colorado Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. This position requires a valid Colorado driver's license. Please provide your Colorado Driver's License number.
* 2. Please provide your Social Security number. This information will be kept strictly confidential and will only be used to verify previous/current employment with the State and/or to retrieve test scores on file with the State.
* Required Question
Location: Limon, Colorado
Compensation: $2,846.00 - $4,101.00 Monthly
This is an internship job
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.